What’s changing because of the Digital Switchover?
- The whole of the UK will switch to Digital terrestrial Television by 2012
- Analogue Television signals will cease transmitting by 2012
- Transmission of Digital signals has already started
- The power of digital transmission will increase, improving performance
Why are we changing from analogue to digital television?
- Better picture quality
- Better sound quality
- Wider choice of channels, including radio
- Additional services including High Definition Television (HDTV)
- More efficient use of the broadcast spectrum
- It’s fairer, as nearly everyone will be able to receive the digital service
When is the Digital Switchover happening?
- Digital Switchover is in progress now!
- In Hertfordshire and Essex analogue transmissions will be switched off during 2011
- In London this will happen in 2012
- Planning for the switchover began way back in 2001 with the founding of The Digital Television Project
Who is involved in the planning and organisation of the Digital Switchover?
- Department for Culture Media and Sport
- The Department for Business Enterprise & Regulatory Reform (BERR)
- Digital UK
Who are "Digital UK"?
Digital UK, is the independent, non-profit organisation leading the process of digital television switchover. Digital UK provides impartial information on what people need to do to prepare for the move to digital, and when they need to do it. Digital UK website
What do I need to receive Digital TV?
- Freeview receiver (also known as a Digital Set Top Box)
- Freesat receiver
- iDTV (Integrated Digital Television - a TV with a Freeview or Freesat receiver built in)
What is Freeview?
Freeview is a free digital service that will allow you to receive over eighty additional Television and Radio channels. For a full list click here
What is Freesat?
Freesat is a free satellite service provided by Freesat (UK) Ltd. Includes channels from the BBC, ITV Channel4 and many more. For a full list here
What is Freesat from SKY?
Freesat from Sky is a limited, Satellite broadcast, non subscription service from Sky.
Can I have digital TV in more than one room, like I do now?
Multi-room digital TV is not as simple to achieve as with analogue TV, as it requires multiple receivers or a central distribution system. Digital & Satellite can advise, supply and install multi-room systems.